Front-End Developer/UI Designer
Catalpa is a mission-driven organisation that sits at the intersection of design, technology and international development. We bring together a creative team of designers, engineers, and sector specialists, all focused on crafting unique solutions to international development challenges.
Catalpa started in rural Timor-Leste in 2010 with two co-founders and a small Rotary grant. Today, the organisation is working in four countries with a broad range of partners including the Governments of Timor-Leste, Myanmar, Uzbekistan, Papua New Guinea, Australia along with multilateral and bilateral development partners such as UNICEF, ILO, FAO, WHO, USAID, UNDP, European Union, the World Bank and the Asian Development Bank
In a nutshell:
Catalpa has been awarded a grant by the Australian Government’s innovationXchange to develop and implement an exciting mobile application aimed at supporting teachers in Timor-Leste — called Matenek. Matenek is a new concept for a mobile phone application that supports teachers in the classroom. Matenek will allow teachers to prepare lessons, schedule classes, access learning materials and engage with professional development content. Its implementation will be done in partnership with the Ministry of Education and the Australian Government supported Partnership for Human Development (PHD), implemented by ABT-Jta.
We are looking for a 'UI Designer/Front End Developer' to join the Catalpa team as part of an exciting phase of growth for the organisation. You’ll work in a talented and interdisciplinary design team, with a strong creative culture, and help us deliver high impact work that seeks to address international development challenges.
This position is ideal for someone who thrives in a creative environment, loves building amazing applications that are simple to use and nice to look at, and believes in the potential of design to address development challenges.
In this role you will be working at the intersection of technology and design, working with teams from concept ideation all the way to prototyping and front end development.
What we are looking for
You are passionate about social progress and design. You love designing applications that inspire others, and create impact. You are an expert in your field, and you would like to work for an organisation that does great things that help people in developing countries. You also meet most (if not more) of the following requirements:
- Strong portfolio and sense of design: You have professional experience in user interface design, strong information visualization skills, and prototyping skills.
- User centered perspective: You understand and can articulate a human-centered approach to design and be comfortable going out into the world for inspiration.
- Prototyping skills: You are ready to try and introduce new tools, learn from failure, embrace an iterative process and you understand that success come sooner with trial and error. Your first inclination is always to build a prototype. Experience with animation prototyping tools such as: Framer.js, Flinto or Axure is a plus.
- Team skills: You work best in a participatory, team-based environment. You support and inspire teams through collaboration as well as direction, vision, and planning of all aspects of interaction design deliverables.
- Communication skills: You have strong verbal and visual presentation skills.
- Openness: Designers need to be flexible and open-minded, especially working in a start-up office and a developing country context.
Relevant experience and mindset:
- A relevant university degree in design/development– (or an intriguing reason for not having one);
- At least four years of experience working in design projects – experience in projects involving education technologies is an advantage;
- Experience working in projects with many stakeholders is an advantage;
- Ability to build and nurture relationships;
- Appreciation to working in a highly multicultural and dynamic environment;
What does Catalpa offer you?
Catalpa is a growing creative organisation that values people and their ideas. You will get a front row seat in the development of an innovative education technologies program with tremendous potential. You get to shape how Catalpa delivers world-class projects that bring together design and technology to achieve social good.
Catalpa offers a competitive salary package, commensurate with your experience and qualifications. You will work a positive and supportive work environment that is focused on achieving high quality results.
If you're interested, we'd love to hear from you! Women are especially encouraged to apply.
Please send a one page cover letter and a resume. In the cover letter, please explain why you are a good fit for this role, and tell us about your role in a project you are particularly proud of.
A few things to note:
Please don't include copies of certificates or qualifications with your application, if we need these we'll ask you for them later. For further enquiries or questions regarding this position, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘Front-End Developer/UI Designer’ in the subject line of the email.