Visual Designer (Remote)
Catalpa is in search of Visual Designers to join our newly established Talent Pool. Our assignments range from a couple of weeks to a few months. You can work remotely from anywhere in the world.
Catalpa started in rural Timor-Leste in 2010 with two co-founders and a small Rotary grant. Today, the organisation is working in four countries with a broad range of partners including the Governments of Timor- Leste, Myanmar, Uzbekistan, Papua New Guinea, Australia along with multilateral and bilateral development partners such as UNICEF, ILO, FAO, WHO, USAID, UNDP, European Union, the World Bank and the Asian Development Bank.
At Catalpa, we build technology for aid and global development We use design and technology to connect people, make information accessible, and empower people to make informed decisions. Our programs span education, health, social inclusion, environment, aid transparency, labour mobility and more.
Check us out at www.catalpa.io
The Visual Designers in our Talent Pool will have the opportunity to engage in a range of projects working alongside our partners to help deliver high impact work that addresses international development challenges. You’ll work with a talented and interdisciplinary team, with a strong creative culture, at the intersection of technology, design and global development.
What we are looking for
You love designing applications that inspire others, and create impact. You are an expert in your field, and you would like to work for an organisation that does great things that help people in developing countries.
Once you are placed on one of our projects you will:
- Participate in or own early conceptualization of the work, not just the creation of the final deliverable.
- Work with our UX Designers to conceptualize a broad spectrum of ideas and then narrow them down based on experimentation and customer research.
- Provide both wireframes and fully detailed, high fidelity designs for software, web and/or digital products.
- Sketch and use drawing applications to design original graphics then use visual design software to refine illustrations.
- Solicit feedback and contribute constructively to design reviews with project teams.
- Work on multiple projects at one time, using strong communication skills to manage time and expectations appropriately
- Stay up-to-date with design application changes and industry developments
- Design presentation materials and print materials
Succeeding in this role requires the following experience & skills:
- A relevant university degree in design – or an intriguing reason for not having one;
- 5+ years of experience in visual/graphic/communication design across a variety of media
- Deep knowledge of design principles and methods
- Expertise in visual, user interface design: applying the principles of graphic design (typography, color, grid, hierarchy, etc) to digital experiences and print materials
- Interest in new technologies, UX and design trends, and how we can bring them together to form better interactions and user experiences
- Extensive experience with a variety of graphic design and interactive tools, for example, Adobe Creative Suite, Sketch, Figma, Principle, Framer, Flinto, and Invision
- You have a passion for design, an eye for detail, and excellent written and visual presentation skills including creating data visualisations
- You have experience managing projects, can create and stay on top of production schedules, and are skilled at prioritizing and juggling multiple demands
- Additional desired skills/experience: Physical prototyping, designing/installing large scale room displays, basic knowledge of frontend development, basic audio and video editing, and designing Google slides and Keynote templates
The Catalpa Culture
We work in a creative, supportive environment with colleagues who come from diverse walks of life, and we value the perspectives they bring. We learn, we try new things, and we base decisions on merit (not hierarchy). We pay attention to the details, and we work together to achieve the best we can. Importantly, we work here because we love what we do and the impact we can have.
What does Catalpa offer you?
Catalpa is a growing creative organisation that values people and their ideas. You’ll get to shape how Catalpa delivers world-class projects that bring together design and technology to achieve social good.
We regularly have new projects kicking off and the successful candidate may be considered for other projects at the end of their initial assignment.
This role can be worked from the organisation's head office in Dili, Timor-Leste or remotely from your home if you are based outside of Timor-Leste. We may require you to travel internationally to complete research within the Asia Pacific region and elsewhere.
If this role sounds interesting to you and you see yourself doing great work with us, we’d love to hear from you! Catalpa International promotes diversity and an equal opportunity workplace. We offer flexible working hours that we hope will help create work-life and/or family-life balance.
NOTE: Applications for this role has now closed, however if you are a strong candidate we encourage you to still apply as we will be looking at expanding our talent pool in the near future. At which time we will review the candidates currently in our recruitment system. All previous applicants need not apply as your details will remain in our system.
Please add your details and attach your CV and cover letter through the apply button below. In the cover letter, summarize why you think you are a good fit for our UX Designer Talent Pool and also tell us about your participation in a project you are particularly proud of and provide a link to your portfolio.
For further inquiries regarding this position, please send an email to [email protected] with ‘Visual Designer - Talent Pool’ in the subject line of the email.